3/07/2006

Oh that night life ain't no good life

So what do you do when you are left behind and have time to fill that used to be too busy to schedule a car wash in? You start finding people that have been important to you and letting them know they still are. You find time to call friends you haven't seen in a long time. You make time to take yourself to dinner on payday week. Then you clean house, too.

One of the things I have tried to do is if I think of something someone needs - do it NOW. I am human and forget alot, just like the rest of you. But I am trying to do better with this. Spreading the love is important and doing something nice for someone is letting them know they are loved.

The Uncle and I got to talk last night. I was his helper when his wife was down with a brain tumor years back. There were so many things I wanted to tell him then but could not and so much I wanted him to know...I finally got a chance to tell him what I saw in him as a person and what I thought of him as an example to others. I don't know if it will make him feel any better but I feel that I should have shared these thoughts long ago but didn't because, for many reasons, it seemed to be the wrong time.

When my Dad died I saw this Uncle for the first time in many years. His personal tribute to my parent touched my heart, it was so appropriate. It eased my hurt then and still does when I think about it now. But I still could not get the time to talk with him.

For me, he has reached out a hand, as one who also lost a true love, to steady me as I continue to learn to live without my teammate. He accepted my words as the truth as I saw things and was gracious enough to just say thank you and not debate them with me. And he gave me leave to call on him when the nights are bleak if I feel the need.

That's family up here. His children may never appreciate what he had to deal with as he walked this path with them to still raise and care for, but I do. I am proud of my uncle and I am so glad I got to tell him that before one of us was not here anymore.

Where I thought I would be spreading the love, he sent some my way. What a boost it gave me.

So I will keep trying to find my missed friends and family and get back in touch with them. Every time I have so far has been important to both of us. It keeps me from locking into the "oh, poor lonely me" that tempts me daily because I am busy hunting friends and family to bushwhack, uh, I mean , surprise...

Consider yourself warned, old pals and family. I'm looking for you.
Too Tall Terry Hansen, Daniel Lilly, Debby Lilly, Leslie Harris, I would like to hear from you and Bob Winter, my artist from TX.

Comments: 2 Comments:
At 8/3/06 12:08 AM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You are trying your best to make lemonade. I know that I would be very lonely, and, if it ever comes to it, I hope I do about a half as well as you.

 
At 8/3/06 8:26 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

I feel like I am fighting an uphill battle just to stay functional enough to work every day. I think, if I had the means, I would just completely withdraw from the world and grieve.

But my mate really does hate it when I am unhappy and always did all he could to fix what made me sad or to cheer me up.

If I continue to be inconsolable he would be miserable till I was comforted. I don't want him to be sad, either. I can do this, I just don't have to like it!

But I am trying to get my smile back because my last tribute to him was so right...the things that hurt so badly are the ways he loved me so much. But that should bring me joy, not pain.

It's a twisty little mind I have and I am trying to get it screwed around that thought so I don't hurt when I should be glad I had the true love I did when so many will never know it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home