3/07/2006

Be it ever so humble there's no place like home

The weekend was strange and they are likely to get stranger as we go down the road into the future. The nephew showed up to fix the spring on the white truck driver's door and we had a cup of coffee and a talk about what he wanted from the future. He has some conflicts and I hope to help him and his girl work together for what is best for them as a team later this week.

I think my sis called to see what I was up to once, too. I really don't remember because I forgot to write it down. But mostly I was just there by myself and it was too cold to play outside.

What was strange about it? Well, I was alone most of it. And I ran the vac and mopped floors, did laundry, changed out the bed, cleaned off some counters, took the organizer drawers we work out of every day all year and cleared them of last year's paper work with this year's all nice and neat in them and burned a ton of trash, bagged more and took a swipe at the porch.

On Sunday I finished up with dishes, sorting some of the bed and bath stuff out and then went late in the day to the local cheap store to replace some totally worn out rugs. I only spent about 75.00 but the bath has new towels, rugs, shower curtain and window curtain, the kitchen has 3 new rugs and the pantry has two recycled from the kitchen rugs. I grabbed a sudoku book, (thanks saur) and a couple odds and ends, too. If I run through tonight with the machine and touch up the dog tracks with the instant mop, the house looks pretty clean for bible study.

So what's my problem? It feels SO wrong! My house is normally dusty, dog tracked, human tracked, dog haired in the corners, with a few dishes in the sink and the drainer and trails of whatever we ate last on the counters....

We always kept the trash and the bath decent but for the rest, we had better things to do on the weekend... Like watch old movies and the birds, read, go for drives or shop together, get a little tipsy and fool around, the really important stuff.

There is no one messing the house up while I am at work or cooking my favorite dinner and leaving the stove all grease spots. No one leaves cups and glasses and bowls in the living room or face hair all over the sink in the bathroom. There aren't any tools stacked in the window sill by the table or any projects cluttering the table up. The toilet paper roll is always under, not over.

When I get home the house is just the way I left it. It gets a little cleaner and more organized everytime I do something along those lines. It's starting to feel like a house for displaying my good house keeping skills and I don't really have any, I just don't cook as much or eat in the living room or use very many dishes in a day so it doesn't get as disorganized.

It is starting to feel like a little old lady house. I am hating it!

Comments: 3 Comments:
At 7/3/06 11:58 AM, Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

I guess it is all a part of the transition...a void you are trying to fill. It can't be easy. And nothing will take his place, but life will crowd in again and move up on some of those edges. I guess that is the way time takes the hard edge off of a loss, I had never really thought about it until now.
I am so sorry...I don't feel as if I am comforting you, as much as I see where you are and am trying to figure it out myself. You are in my thoughts today...more than you might guess. I pray for peace for you today.
-Cora :)

 
At 7/3/06 12:44 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Thank you, Cora, and be nice to your mate, of course, today and everyday.

I hope your house is dusty...LOL

 
At 7/3/06 1:16 PM, Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

More dust, and dirty laundry than I would ever like to admit. However, if you lived in my neck of the woods, I would gladly bring you over and show it to you! I don't say that to many people...actually, you are the first! :) smile!

On a technical note...I was able to sign up for StatCounter, but where they told me to paste the text, and where you said were a little different. I went to (on my blog) TEMPLATE, then EDIT COMMENT, and tried to paste it after I found the word footer...but I am not sure I am in the right place. My blog could not re-publish, it said I had errors. Any advice? Don't worry if you dont...my brother in law can prob help me! He is a web page designer...

Thanks for the help you did give...I'm almost there! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home