3/07/2006

but it's my life

The nights... I don't think it's any big suprise to anyone that after losing your best buddy and bunkie that the nights are long and hard.

I have avoided posting this but decided that it is another part of learning to cope and must be included for this to be a truthful blog for others to learn from.

I avoided changing the sheets for weeks after the mate died. I needed the comfort it gave me to be just exactly where we were last happy and loving with each other. I needed the pheremones in his pillow to calm my spirit and let me sleep, pretending that pillow was him nestled beside me. I needed the room to look and smell the same when I walked into it. Just the one change, him never joining me there again, was all I could handle for 39 days.

I ran the vac, washed the rugs and changed the sheets this weekend. I checked with a friend and I am just fine, she wouldn't even enter their bedroom for weeks after her mate died. For another friend, the house stayed exactly the same for most of two years. You do what you must to comfort yourself and survive.

But I am finding I can't go to bed until I am exausted now. I do chores, I write the bills, I do the paperwork, I play cards online till everyone else is gone, I pet the dogs, I make the coffee for morning, I take a shower, and then I make hot coco and buttered toast and I still am not able to face the bed. So I read till my head drops to the table. Or I play my gutiar. Or I look up obscure things on the net...or I read your blogs. Anything but sleep.

Yesterday it caught up with me. I took an allergy pill and fell asleep at my desk so deeply that I don't even know if anyone caught me. When I woke up I realized I had to get this under control or I would be totally backwards in my sleeping patterns.

Tonight I will try watching a movie and sleeping in the recliner or on the couch if that is what I have to do. I am not going to be independently wealthy anytime soon and I have to work. That means I have to be awake days. That means I have to sleep nights.

And it used to be, when I got caught up in a project or a game, that the mate would chivvy me into going to bed by threatening to be asleep when I got there, no good night kiss for me! But that's no threat now.

So 41 one days later, still not a tearless day and the bed has gotten too empty for me, inspite of my best intentions to remember the mate loved me so much it has to feel like that now.

Comments: 8 Comments:
At 7/3/06 11:32 PM, Blogger Hokule'a Kealoha said...

Oh I just found you and I am sorry for your loss and you are so right... My dear friend that lost his wife suddenly leaving him with a new church and a ten year old (he was a pastor in a new position, about as bad as an infant) slept with a sweater of Gail's for months and struggled to just get through the day... how to explain to his son that he was motherless a second time (Andrew was adopted) he had never cared for the home and was just lost with the basics of living. To say its not easy is trite. I will pray for you and follow you on your blog. God Bless

 
At 8/3/06 12:01 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Welcome Hokule, My aunt and uncle made their home in Honolulu but aside from them and the novel by Joyce I know little of the islands. Would have liked to seen Bora Bora.

He has to maintain a child too and it must be exausting. May his God fill all his needs and grant him peace in his lonely soul and watch over the child.

 
At 8/3/06 2:00 PM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

Everyone deals differently. I worry that you are over exhausting yourself, which won't do your health any good. I hope the allergy medication was because of allergies and not a way to fall asleep. That's too dangerous. (Sorry I am a bossy SOB today)
Time is the only thing that is going to make you better, learn to cope, remember without crying and learn to live again. Being patient for time is very hard and I am so sorry you have to feel this pain.
If you email me I can send you my phone number. I stay up late and could talk you right into a deep sleep. :)
Lois Lane

 
At 8/3/06 3:28 PM, Blogger dan said...

When my brother died I kept this tiny scrap of paper on which he wrote the appointment for his first driving lesson.

It's his handwriting.

And I still have it.

The secret is it never goes away. It just goes from 7 days of suck to 5. Then to 3. Then 2. Then 1. Then you can think of them without crying, but you're still sad.

But remember. You're only sad because he meant SOOOOO much to you. There's so few people in our life we get to love, we have to remember to cherish that connection, even if the physical person isn't with us.

Keep taking care of yourself Val.

 
At 8/3/06 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yep,Too Tall is here, and back again-for good. I'm sooooo glad you got ahold of me today, and you know I feel your pain...
Remember when Suzy left? You held me, comforted me, cooked and cleaned for me while I trembled and cried for weeks. I could never forget that. I love you so dearly and never could do otherwise. It is a wonderful joy to know your whereabouts again, and how we con talk again.

 
At 8/3/06 10:49 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Hey Lois, I have terrible allergies that never started till I was in my 40's. I hate em..

I just should remember, benedryl at night, anything else daytime...I never sleep at work and normally a benedryl won't even slow me down.

Am actually considering a hypnotist for some memory encouragement but have a sleep tape. I may call on you for that number someday, just to get to know you better.

 
At 8/3/06 10:53 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Hey Dan, I came across the bag the mate brought me my birthday gifts in just 13 days before he died. In it was the envelope addressed to "My Darling Valerie" with the exclaimation point in hearts. All his notes are like that.

It sits before me now.

I have great support here from my virtual friends and from my 3D ones, too. I have to keep trying.

Thank you for checking in on me, I know you understand the fog of deep grey that I view the world through on the worst days. It helps that I can share it with you.

 
At 8/3/06 10:59 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Friends, meet my long lost forever best friend, Too Tall Terry! You will get to know him better as we go on from here.

Let me just say that the comfort I took from speaking with him for the first time in twenty years and finding we are, yes, still true friends, lifted me from this gloom for almost two hours!

Dear friend, it is so good to be in touch with you again!

Go back to the bottom of this post and highlight from the last sentence down....

Big Hug to you 2 Tall!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home