6/07/2005

Returns

I stayed up late watching old movies Satuday night and reading a book I was almost done with, the third in a series. I got up late Sunday but slept really well, that was a great goodness.

I just had the coffee on when the neighbor girl that was going to help move my flowers banged on the front door. She wanted to talk. I said, meet me out back, grabbed a jug of water and my smokes and wandered out to the back yard patio chairs.

She was all worried she had left me thinking her mate was a big jerk and he really isn't but it bothered her so much she wrote a list of things to tell me about him and correct any wrong impression I got.

I assured her I knew her mate was a nice guy, all nice guys still have faults and his weren't earth shattering. We discussed her points and I managed to get her to understand that I like her mate. He's very intelligent, serious and hardworking. He supports his family and loves her and the boy. She's just a bit of a worry wart but such a nice girl you hate to upset her. I enjoy them both.

They didn't get their garden in and I told her that for picking and weeding help we would have plenty to share. I expect she will wander back when her leg is better.

While we talked the sky got darker and the wind started to pick up. I sent her on her way, ran back in to get the cup of coffee I had been craving all that time, grabbed my camera and started taking photos of the house and garden, the vehicles and dogs because it felt green in the sky to me and that means tornados. I wanted current photos for insurance!

It was crappy all day. When I got up it was over 90 degrees out and by 4 it was 75. It stormed and thundered and rained buckets then quit and cleared out, clouded up and did it again all day.

I called to tell the mate to lay over a night and he'd already left. Crap. It's back to calculate how long it takes to get here from there, estimate arrival, open garage and turn lights on, heat tea water, make coffee, lay out a towel and sweats for him and wait. And wait. And call his cell, leave a message, and wait. Did I mention I don't wait well?

A full hour later than I figured he came honking in the drive. I grabbed a towel and ran to meet him to help unload the bike. He was wearing his rain jacket and soaked from the waist down.

We got him in, dried and resting with a hot cuppa in under 20 minutes. We were both glad he was back safely. He made a snack and another cup of tea. We snugged in on the couch and I asked him if he laid up somewhere that it took him so long to get home. He looked at me funny and mentioned the one hour time difference...oh, crap - DUH!.

We watched a little tube then went to bed early for recreational purposes. Big smiles!

Another successful mission of mercy accomplished, another great weekend!