4/05/2006

Hey it's good to be back home again

I snuck out of work about 15 minutes early last night and booked straight home to get dinner cooking. The BigE had done every little thing I had asked him to and then we started chopping cheese, celery, cukes, etc. for munchies. We got almost done and I realized I hadn't changed yet. I rushed a clean up and change clothes so I would be ready to greet my guests.

BigE and I finished setting up the table and putting out the snacks before the dog alert went off announcing my friend's arrival. He had, of course, changed since I saw him last but he looked pretty good for a man who has had some rough times. He was taller than I remembered, too. But his eyes are still the blue of a summer sky and his quirky smile was flashed enough during the evening to bring back a hint of the teenager we all knew long ago.

I had freaked out all day wondering if I was doing a good thing or a bad thing. Some times I get bombing ahead with a plan and forget to figure how the other people might feel about it. This makes me smack myself for my carelessness with their feelings. In this case everything went pretty good.

But the mom cost me a quarter. He bet she would not recognize him and I bet she would. This is the MOM. She who knows all. She got there and was frankly trying to guess who he was. I felt so badly for her, cause she loved this kid. He really had changed alot though. When we finally told her she couldn't put her stuff down quickly enough to give him a big hug. Then it was all better!

The sis was running late, she had an emergency horse call house call to make. Someone spent two hours trying to force a horse to load in a trailer, THEN called her to help load it. She hates that. When she got there she calmed the poor horse, joined up with it and it walked right up the ramp behind her about 20 minutes later.

My scallops turned out perfect, the sis brought homemade brownies, and mom brought a tossed salad. With the table full of munchies, fresh ice tea, and a lovely meal we enjoyed getting caught up, for the most part, on the last 20 years.

The sis got really silly and I helped. The guest, in spite of his recent loss, was smiling sometimes and the mom got after us for being so rambunctious. The BigE listened, watched, smiled and helped willingly. We all cleared the table then I started the dishes soaking but BigE did the dishes without being asked while we talked. He HATES doing dishes! It was so nice of him to see we were having fun and to do the chore for me. He made me think of his grampa.

We finally begged Brother Boy into playing for us. I got one or two songs ok but tried for "Old Habit" and lost it at the last verse. Then we all sang, then I tried to play and sing one or two. I'm still pretty pitiful but it's coming.

It was late before we broke it up but no one minded. I think it was good for hime to know there were still people that felt like his family out here. He had talked about Dad so much, I gave him one of the boxes dad made that I love so. I hope he enjoys it, I know we all enjoyed getting to know him again.

Comments: 2 Comments:
At 5/4/06 1:12 PM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Mmm! Dinner sounded wonderful! I am very jealous.

 
At 6/4/06 3:11 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

uIt was very good and we all enjoyed it. No such thing as left overs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home