4/04/2006

You've got to tell it like it is

Life gets busy and when our problems are gone we think all is right with the world. When I visited with the Guest yesterday I told him something that I think made him smile through his heartaches. He told me that he remembered, when we were younger, that we could always have fun hanging out together. It made me smile. It was true for me, but you know how teens are, I never knew if he was having fun or not. Now I do.

Then I found this.

The Cheat
by Edgar Guest

I cheated a good friend yesterday,
Kept what was his, and went my way,
Wronged him by silence-for in haste
I let a glad thought go to waste.

I had a word of cheer to speak,
To strengthen him when he grew weak,
To send him smiling on his way -
But what I thought I didn't say.

He would have richer been to know
That deed of his had pleased me so,
But oh, I failed to let him see
How much his conquest meant to me.

I cheated him of words of praise
Which would have cheered his troubled days;
In this a faithful friend I wronged,
By keeping what to him belonged.

The praise was his by right to hear,
To him belonged my word of cheer;
In silence, though, from him I turned
I'd cheated him of what he'd earned

Just a little from Edgar on speaking up. I think I will have to comment more on the other blogs I read. I would like to add that this is especially important for when you see your kids doing something good.