10/11/2005

I'm gonna sit right down and write myself a letter

Why keep a blog?

For myself, I have always kept journals. I had a diary when I was 9 and used it till I was 15. At 1978 I started again in a spiral notebook, because it was cheap, to document what was important to me about my days. In '88 they all burned up in the fire. That hurt badly. I didn't write for a long time after that.

In '92, on my 8088 I started again to write about my days. Using the now defunct B drive disks I kept a journal. I have '94 and '95 on the hard drive but in '96 when we got the house I was too busy to keep it up and let it go again.

Pretty much this blog is just my diary. What I did where I went with whom and if it was fun or not. My poems, songs, stories were all in the diary of the day. I find I put less of that here but it stll shows up from time to time.

And this is my other thought. The only thing I can contribute to the world is something that is original with me. My thoughts, feelings, ways of dealing with life that I have developed are never completely duplicated anyplace else. If they help just one person avoid a pit trap I fell into then it is worth the time, embarassment and labor of putting it out here.

If I make one person smile each day then I did something to create more good feelings than bad in the world. If I make you question yourself and think about something until you know where you stand on it then I helped out a friend and feel good about that.

But even if this blog does nothing except give me a place to vent at least I won't blow up from stuffing it all down inside till I pop all over some innocent person. That's good, too.

Mostly I write to see myself produce something that only I can do my way. I like to read me, too. Is that vain? I hate each typo but leave them usually because I know you will get the thought anyway. I hate when I think of better phrasing or another example that might have gotten my point across better. But I leave it alone because it's good enough to get by without wreaking the story.

Now I will be adding that I blog so my people can keep up with what's happening around here without being in touch any better than we usually are. But if I only see you four times a year or once every four years you will know how life has been and that I am thinking of you all. I think it will bring us closer at least in our heads. That's a warm fuzzy thought for me.

Comments: 8 Comments:
At 11/10/05 5:25 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I started blogging because I wanted to look back on daily events. Then I found I was boring myself (because, like you, I was reading my own material) so I just figured I'd use my sense of humor and combine it with what was happening in my life.

That's the beauty of a blog. It belongs to the writer. No one else.

 
At 12/10/05 9:14 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

I don't bore me. :)

I kill me! LOL1

 
At 12/10/05 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just so you know you made me smile quite a few times. The bike stories made me love your mate a thousand times more than i already did.

Jasper's Mom

 
At 13/10/05 2:28 AM, Blogger Jezzy said...

I like what Fred wrote. I started blogging mainly to vent. And then I started making friends - which was cool. I started reading other people's blogs and genuinely caring about their lives. It's a great medium.

 
At 13/10/05 9:09 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Hey anonymous, Which bike stories, for cying out loud! There are a bunch of them!

thanks for the sweet comment, by the way!

 
At 14/10/05 4:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the one where you were almost at the top of the hill and he came up behind you and finished giving you a push reminded me of how sweet he can be. it brought tears to my eyes remembering all the times he was behind me to give me that extra something to make it.


jaspers mom

 
At 14/10/05 10:00 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Thanks, Jaspers Mom! He reads this and will love what you said!

He is very special and we are all lucky to have had him in our lives.

 
At 14/10/05 10:04 AM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Jezzy, I forgot to add the making new friends part! Ty for reminding me.

friend!

You read here almost as much as I do! Too cool1

 

Post a Comment

<< Home