9/30/2005

on a bicycle buit for two

Here ya go, cyclist friends, the newest company perq! With gas going up along with everything else that travels by truck and heating bills becoming a serious budget problem it's nice to see some companies are thinking ahead.

I am starting to think about an enclosed recumbent with a gas assist for hills. thinking ..think ... hahahahaha! How will I get in and out and what will power the heater? As I am just now getting to two miles without a break to breathe who am I kidding? ME? Every day on a 25 mile round trip with some real hills in the way? Not this year!

That's one of the problems with getting older, I know that I will have to wait for the next life to hike Europe, roller blade, ski or bungie jump. I have worn out too many parts to make them practical pursuits in this round. And some of the toys kids have nowadays just make me drool! But I am too old or to big or too crippled to play on them.

When you hear someone say, "Do it while you can!", they aren't kidding. Climb the mountain and slide down on a trash can lid if it sounds like fun to you. Take the rainy day fund and get the plane fare to see Paris if that's your dream. You can make more money, you can't make more youth or health. When they start to go you start hitting limits you never expected to deal with.

I hunt the house for my glasses. I have several pair of spare readers stashed around but my 'scription ones work best. I sit on them, I drop them in the garden, I lose them in the shrubs I plant, I knock them off end tables. And I HATE them! I can't wear contacts and I wouldn't stand a chance with them - they are tiny and clear. The fact is that I can't see to read, do my nails or shave my legs without them.

The eyes that could spot a frozen chipmunk at 30 yards, and still can, can't see for crap to read. And forget the instructions, directions and warnings on bottles, boxes or medicine. Those take a magnifying glass now. A really GOOD one. Luckily, the grama's both left a couple to pass on. I thought, "Cool! Examine bugs, sort beads, start campfires," when I scored them but NOoooo...I have to have them to read.

Imagine all the people hunting for glasses in the south just now. That was a bad thought. I'm wandering off again. Sorry!

I just mean that I have many happy, scary, fun, exciting, challanging, sad, wild, and wicked memories. I haven't skipped much of what was available to me in life. But new stuff keeps coming up and I can't play.

So do it now! Ride the biggest roller coaster or the wildest bull, tango with flair, jump a ditch on your skateboard or climb the big tree out back and swing down off a rope like Tarzan. And keep doing it! Get outside and play! Take a friend! Stay active!

My regrets will be for what I couldn't work in this time, not for what I didn't TRY to do!

All this from being useless unloading a motorcycle and having to pass on a pair of roller blades to the next victim......humbug.

Comments: 2 Comments:
At 1/10/05 8:37 AM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I have my mother's magnifying glass, which I don't have to use yet, but in her later years she opined that it was losing its strength. "Things wear out, you know," is what she said.

 
At 1/10/05 8:48 AM, Blogger Fred said...

I find the same things happen in this house with scissors and nail clippers. We have no less than 10 of each, but you can never find them. Never.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home