8/16/2005

Love on the weekend

Love that Mate!

On Friday night I had just gotten home when one of the people we know showed up to deliver a dead 1978 GL1000 motor. I was so tickled! It was so nice of him to bring it over in his big van for us!

Why was I excited? Because somewhere, down in the mysterious guts of the monster, was the part I needed to make my charging system charge again. And why does that get me all "thank you 1000 times everyone!"? Because then I can take my own bike up north this weekend! Riding with the ladies and the families and friends to the big lake!

The mate found out this guy had what we needed and set it up without telling me. I was all depressed for nothing!

When we finally got it unloaded and the friend left we called up the Eldest Grand and asked him if he would like to come help work on the bike. We got lucky and he said yes.

So I planned meals and beverages, jumped in the little red truck and ran to get him. The mate would have gone to get him on the bike but (drum roll.....) The Lions were playing their first exibition game. Off I went, smiling all the way.

I have to tell you, these two tore down the parts engine, put it back together, minus my part, tore down my bike, (wait till you see the photos!), took the engine out, replaced my part, reassembled the bike and test rode it in EIGHT HOURS!!

If you work on bikes you know what a jam session it was. If you don't, just take my word for it - There is not a shop in the world that will replace an internal engine part in one day.

The Eldest Grand, let's call him the BigE, got right in there, followed directions, knew how to rachet and screw or un screw, lift here, tug there like he had worked with us forever. He was not only a help but he was a valuable helper! He knows his metric from american and a 10 mm wrench from a 14mm socket. Plus he's got a healthy young back and strong arms! I could not get over how well he did!

With me helping where I could and keeping them fed, watered and in parts and fluids we just whipped that bike in and out of there! She got new anti-freeze, new oil and filter, fresh brake fluid, front and rear, last week. Saawweeeeet!

And she is doing great! The ride to work Monday was a dream! It all works now. I still have a little lag in the front brake piston but we are getting it freed up.

I am just so tickled! What a team! We got the kid home in time to go fishing at dawn on Sunday. Normally we would still have been putting stuff back together the next day. We even made it to a family reunion so I didn't have to cook or clean up for Sunday.

It was just so smooth! Not a bolt stuck, not a screw stripped out and only a couple spare parts left over. Now my turn signals blink at the same time my brake light is on and I can still honk at the idiot pulling out in front of me from the gas station and the magic gauge still reads 13!

Now I am telling you, this is love! The BigE and the Mate did a h.e.double toothpicks of a job!

See you in the U.P. this weekend!

Comments: 3 Comments:
At 16/8/05 6:51 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Try to show a little enthusiam and appreciation, will ya?

 
At 17/8/05 6:40 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I'm still trying to figure out how to open the hood of my car. You guys need any help?

 
At 17/8/05 10:10 PM, Blogger Janet said...

I don't think you'll see me, but have fun.:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home