5/11/2005

Riding to work

Yesterday was perfect! Sun up, easy breeze, blue skies and so I got to ride to work! The 1978 GL1000 has a nice Plexifaring mounted and a cup holder for my water. The lunch cooler fits nicely on the luggage rack the mate found for me. I used a bungy net to anchor it. That worked well!

I wore the older helmet with the quick release, denim jacket, light leather gloves, engineer boots and jeans with sunglasses. It was almost 70 even that early so I didn't need the heavy gear.

Bike (not named yet) started right up. Went easily down the road, through the first several corners and curves then tried the cruise control the mate mounted for me. That was sweet! It works the best of any of them I have had! Should cut down on the hand cramps on long rides.

Smelled the honey suckle, saw a pheasant, some horses, cows and then turkeys - all well off the road, thank you! Made it to the shop feeling good about getting there.

Worked all day with one part of me ready to leave for the next ride NOW! Had to stay, need the hours. Clock finally rolled to 5:00 and I was out the door!

Cut my thumb on a sharp bolt tying on the lunch box, bike started right up. Went to back it out and bobbled a little going down hill and backwards, caught it ok, just made me look clumsy. Headed for the house, got to the second stop sign and, when I went to put the right leg down, something hit me in the back of the thigh. Looked down and saw side cover hanging by bottom screw. Pulled around the corner, got off, re-mounted the side cover and got back one.

Went for home again, no more trouble, cruise control worked, road pegs worked. Mate came out with dogs to greet me and kindly back my bike in for me. The garage has a 2 inch lip to keep water out and I have trouble getting the bike and me over it at the same time still.

All in all was great fun! Today it rained :(