4/19/2005

NOT an old crippled lady

Wind in my face! Bugs in my face! No wind in my hair because it was only the second test ride on the new scoot. I wore my helmet.

Got home last night and mate had pulled the fairing off the '78 GL1000 I am going to be breaking in this season. The wiring was all ready for a new headlight, a friend was letting him have a light and turn signals today, the old seat was on it and I jumped out of the truck, ran into the house, scarfed up my jacket and gloves and was back at the bike in under a minute.

I asked him to ride a big "around the block" with me so he got the Midnight Venture out and we took off on test ride II.

The fairing was still on the bike for test ride 1 and, as always, it made the Honda feel top heavy in the corners and just plain heavy to move by my own power. It also rattled around even though he tells me the mounts were all good.I

took it very carefully down the road a mile, turned in an intersection and brought it back. I haven't ridden much the last few years and I know I am rusty. My last bike was smaller and quicker than this one, too, so I was watching for handling problems. It was just no thrill and I told the mate so.

I also told him I need to move the handle bars back, raise one road peg, move the brake pedal out further from the engine and find the wide pegs I like to put on it. Oh, yeah, and new grips, new levers - the dog leg kind.Back to the garage it went. After a day of hard work by the mate she was out again.

What a nice cruise! I feel so good on my bike. I don't feel old (old ladies don't ride motorcycles), I don't feel handicapped, (artritis begone!), and I don't feel fat (big bike reduces my size by comparison).I feel young, wild and pretty, ready to ride for the bridge and party! Where's my gutiar? I might even try singing!

And riding with my best friend is always fine. We got half way and he swapped bikes so I could try the Venture. Cushy but weird. Feet are nicely out in front, hate floorboards, heel/toe shifter messes me up, too. Gave it back to him in one piece a the next corner. Not many men will share their rides, what a man!

Got back to the house and parked it. He grabbed the hex wrench (#6mm) and the hammer. Lowered the handle bars with the former and raised the road peg with the other and we called it a night.

He grilled, I set the table and poured the milk, we ate. Another day in the rut.Tomorrow it will be 20 years since we met again, 14 years after our fatal fight in our teen years. We try to go for a ride but we can never re-create the original one. Some day I'll tell you about it.