5/10/2005

Baby

I lived in a college town in a house that had rooms rented to students. My husband and I had been there long enough to become friends with the other roomies and things were pretty good. We had a little room upstairs until someone moved out and we moved into the basement. It gave us two rooms, one for the baby and another, divided by sheets, we used for visitors and the bedroom.

I had the little room all ready for baby. Dresser, changing table, crib, diapers, bottles, clothes, bedding, blankets and all the little things a baby needs. I even had a baby sized bear in the crib, ready to be drooled on.

While my pregnancy had been fairly easy it had the drawbacks of any pregnacy- bloat, weight gain, awardness, cravings, and it severely limited my activities. I was tired too much in the last six weeks. So, yes, I was ready! The day before I had rearranged the living room and carried a solid wood door downstairs to get it out of the way. I did everything but jump up and down to get the process started.

On a lovely May day, a lot like this one, I went into labor for my first child. Back then we didn't get to know the sex so I was hoping for a girl, but felt a boy would be ok, too. Mostly I wanted to not be pregnant anymore! I had everything ready. My Mom and Grama has helped with most of it but the B Corner's Mom's Club had a baby shower for me, too. This was very kind of them as I was 17 and unwed at the time, an appalling situation to the nice older ladies that were very sweet to us.

When I realized I was really in labor I told my husband. He got all google eyed and jumpy acting and wanted to take me to the hospital right then. I told him, no, not till I was down to 20 minutes apart. Well, he ran out and told the rest of the house mates and they (mostly men) all started freaking out like I was going to pop all over the dining room or something. I was pretty amused by them. I would start a contraction and they would all check their watches, watching the duration and the interval. Meanwhile I was reading my book and ignoring them.

Finally, around noon, the guy with the car, (there's one in every house!) told us he had to be to work at 2:00 and I would have to go now or call a cab. I wanted to call a cab but we had no money so I grabbed my bag and we left.

Now Car guy and the husband were all frantic, the contractions were about 30 minutes apart and seemed stronger. First they took a wrong turn and went the wrong way on a one way, then they took me to the wrong hospital. We did get to the right place but we took the scenic route!

I got signed in, wheeled to a room and into a bed, then the contractions went back down to 45 minutes apart. I knew that would happen, I hate hospitals.

We will skip all the details,( like the fact the my hair was germy and had to be removed but the Dr. who would deliver the baby had a furry pelt on his arms. I refused to allow him to attend me usless he shaved his arms. Baby was delivered by an intern with very little hair anywhere.) but I didn't have the eldest daughter till 24 hours later. That gave Mom, Grama and visiting cousin all plenty of time to get there so when we got back to the room the party had already started.

Eldest Daughter was cleaned, dressed in a jammie, wrapped in a blanket and passed around in her sleep to be admired and examined. I was beat. It was a natural birth and I had been cut, too, so I was tender. Finally, it was my turn again. I laid her against my chest awkwardly then found just the right way to rest her there and we both lay back and relaxed.

Five pounds, six ounces, seventeen inches long, delicate, a strawberry mark on her fore head that would fade quickly, big blue eyes and cupid bow lips accented by lovely dimples, that was my little girl.

If every mother could give to each innocent child the life they wish for them the world would be a better place for children.

I love that girl. Eldest girl is not like me, she is herself. I am proud to have had anything to do with giving her to the world. Happy birthday Daughter.

Comments: 3 Comments:
At 10/5/05 8:51 PM, Blogger Jezzy said...

Aww - that's a lovely story, Val.

 
At 11/5/05 11:19 AM, Blogger KarbonKountyMoos said...

Happy belated birthday, eldest daughter.

 
At 11/5/05 2:59 PM, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Thank you, Jezzy and KarbonKountyMoos! It's a lot more fun to tell than it was to live it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home