7/06/2006

First gear, it's all right, second gear, hold me tight

Well then, let's see...on Monday I got up and went to work. (darn boss) I get there and the boss says, "You probably didn't need to come in today." I did have some shipping to do so I whipped that out, stayed for his noon nap and left. I thought it would be nice to hit the Big City before dark so I whipped out the cell and called the City Boy. I learned he is not spontaneous normally. I told him it was ok, I had plenty to do yet and let him go.

I hit the store for food, the gas station for a fill up and headed for the house to start on the lawn. I got it about one third done and got tired so I ducked into the cool of the house to take a nap before I left to meet him. I set the alarm and dropped right off.

I had time to shower and run off. I was at his place on the dot of seven. He wasn't ready. He had tried to call me but I had not checked the cell for messages. I met and visited with his step dad and then his mom when she arrived while he finished up his chores, showered and changed.

They were nice people and she and I had a good talk. Without sounding like a defensive mother, she pretty much told the same story he did. That was good. When he came out ready to go I was surprised to notice he had on black jeans and a black based hawaiian print shirt, the same as I was wearing but a different pattern. I didn't know if I should be flattered, afraid or believe it was coincidence, but it made me smile.

I made my polites and we left, once again on the search for a nice place to eat. Once again to be foiled. We must have driven over most of three counties and finally ended up at a bar in the local Thinks it's a big City. I was trying to get him unstressed so had planned a run through a park with a covered bridge and then decided to head for the second one, too. It was scenic and low stress for traffic.

Right as we were giving up on our fourth town and headed for the bar the cell rang. My third cousin had planned on coming up but when I talked to Rebel, her mom, she didn't know if the girl would have her drivers liscense replaced in time. I guess she did because she was almost to my house! I let the little Rebel know I was going to be awhile, find food, let the dogs in and watch a movie or whatever and we would be along after we ate. I explained to the City Boy that I had thought she canceled but there were still plenty of beds. He was cool with that. So was I! I could duck her or use her to run interference if I needed it. It gave me options. I relaxed a little.

You can't possibly believe I was comfortable with bringing a strange man back to the house before I even had time to get to know him. And I still had the urge/voice to deal with. I didn't want to do that alone in the house with him. What if he thought I was nuts and just started wanting me to give him stuff or just took it or I mean really! Am I nuts? (No - close call :))

Now I had two hungry people still looking for food and one waiting at home I hadn't seen since she was about 12. I was so embarrassed that I couldn't find a place open that we could be comfortable in and we drove all over creation. Ending up at my usual place for a quick bite would work, though. He got the reassurance of seeing that the waitress knew me, knew I didn't order drinks when I ate, and liked me. I got to thinking about it and he might have been wondering if I was going to take him out in the middle of nowhere and turn out to be an ax murderer myself!

Now we were settled in with beverages and I started tryiing to present my offer. I explained that what I was going to say would sound weird but I wanted him to hear me out. I told the sissors story. Then I told him I wanted to offer him the little red truck for as long as he needed it and the money for a tank of gas and to get back legal. I wanted him to know that it could end if my truck breaks down, or if I needed the little truck for a trip. I expected that if I called and asked for it that he would bring it right back. That was the catch. Other than that it was his till he could get another vehicle running again.

He listened intently and he didn't ask any questions. "I don't know what to say." he said, and I answered, "Nothing, for now, I want you to think about it. You can tell me tomorrow." He was one of the rare breed that could live with that so we talked about other things, ate our dinners and went home to wake the little Reb. The dogs met us at the door and never even barked at my new friend. They came right up for pets like they knew him already and I could tell he was good with animal from the way he greeted them. Another good sign, I trust my dogs.

Once she was up I gave them the tour and we decided to shoot some pool. The good news was that he knew how to check for a straight stick, the bad new was that he knew how to use it! SHARK! We had fun teaching little Reb a bit of the game and he played teams against both of us. We got creamed! I am way out of practice and my eyes aren't good for pool anymore.

It was too warm to stay upstairs so we headed down to watch a movie and have some popcorn. It was cooler and relaxing, the movie was funny enough to keep us watching and about three a.m. we called it a night. He is taller so I gave him the couch and she is shorter so I put her upstairs. It worked out ok. I set my alarm and read for a bit then drifted off.

In the morning I made coffee, he made eggs and cheese scrambled and Little Reb made toast while I did up the dishes. We were all getting along pretty well. I called to say we were running a little late for the BBQ and Nurse Lady said take our time. While I was finishing my coffee he rinsed off the few dishes left and wiped the counters down. I had to comment on that! Nice!

Nurse Lady's family is the one that got the player piano. I had never been to their home. We all loaded up in the little red truck and I missed the last turn twice. They had a beautiful log home with a big garden out back and a small pond beyond that, stocked and swimable. There were even two pigs in the woods, Bacon Bits and Hammy, I think. The two boys she had were close in age to the girl I had with me. They all totally got along! Her Country Man and my City Boy did ok, too and she liked him.

We visited, had tea and sodas and fought with a batch of wasps for a time, then the boys started making the piano go. I joined them and showed them how to use the adapter I had found and brought with me to hook it to a vacuum and not have to pump it. We had fun with that and played about 5 rolls. I love these boys because they will sing along to the old songs! One of them plays guitar, too. Nice bunch of folks! Fun and then food.

Pork chops, polish dogs, chicken and baked potatoes, corn on the cob, fruit, with brownies for dessert. A real 4th of July cook out that was just yummy! The Nurse Lady will be lucky if I don't sell my place and move into her basement!

After our dinner we made our polites and headed up to my sister's place to see the horses and for City Boy's next inspection. The two boys decided to follow along in their jeep so we caravaned over. Cee hooked her black gelding and gave us all cart rides, they checked out the cabin and the chickens and helped with chores then met all the new baby mini horses before we left. I did get grilled on the City Boy. I just told her the truth. I had met him once, had dinner once and then brought him home to help him out. I told her why and how. She started objecting. I made her stop the horse. I said, go ahead, any reason I should not do this? Every thing she could think up the voice had already answered me on. I stumped her, too. Even she said he seemed like a really nice person. NO reason not to do this except that it's crazy. I'm used to people thinking that about me so that leaves no reason at all.

The boys headed out and we headed for the house. I stopped and treated to ice cream on the way. We got home just as the sun started down. The girl packed and left, she had college orientation the next day. As she was packing we had a moment alone and I asked him if he was going to accept my offer. He said, 'Yes, I am going to. I'd like to be home before dark." That was the last loop hole. Plugged.

I got the keys out. When she left we went out and I started checking tool kits and paper work. We got him all squared away in about a half hour. We went in and talked for awhile. He was concerned about what he could do in return. I boldly charged him with giving me a hug before he left. In all this time, aside from accidentals, there had been no body contact. It was good for keeping things right between us, but for me it was like looking through the window at what you want with only a dime in your pocket. Even though there were no sparks flying he was a sweet and thoughtful guest with a great smile and I am pretty starved for affection right now.

He told me a story of something that happened in his youth. It's not mine to tell but it involved trying to decide which direction to walk and feeling confused that it was an issue because it was just a recreational walk on a beach. Choosing the correct way that day gave him a story to match the sissors and then some. He understood what I meant exactly about why I was doing this and I was so glad to find he wasn't just thinking he was taking advantage of a crazy old lady! It was the right thing to do and I felt so good about it.

I got my hug and a sort of half kiss. I might have ducked or he might have aimed for a cheek and missed. It was my first. It was a little clumbsy and awkward as he is taller than me, too. But for just a moment I let go and leaned on that man's shoulder and let him hold me. I braced back up and pulled away because I knew if I didn't I would come apart in the comfort of a caring man's arms and that was not how I wanted our visit to end. I needed to be able to smile at him as he drove away.

I did. He turned back and waved as he backed out of the drive way. I waved back, like my grama used to every time we left her home.

I brought home a sad and lonely man. I sent off a man standing straighter who had met good people that liked him and had a smile in his heart. Don't tell me I'm crazy and don't tell me I'm not a billionaire. Just hope the little voice doesn't start talking to me about YOU!